Age Advantage Association – Community Mapping

"Rather than focus on the sharing of information between government departments, focus on the access to tools and data for citizens to formulate their own analysis e.g. community mapping" Dr. Bob Maher – 2014¹

Cultural mapping involves a community identifying and documenting local cultural resources. Through this research cultural elements are recorded – the tangibles like galleries, craft industries, distinctive landmarks, local events and industries, as well as the intangibles like memories, personal histories, attitudes and values. After researching the elements that make a community unique, cultural mapping involves initiating a range of community activities or projects, to record, conserve and use these elements. …The most fundamental goal of cultural mapping is to help communities recognize, celebrate, and support cultural diversity for economic, social and regional development. — Clark, Sutherland and Young

An emerging interdisciplinary field Cultural mapping reflects the spatial turn taken in many related areas of research, including culturaland artistic studies, architecture and urban design, geography, sociology, cultural policy and planning. Traditional approaches to cultural mapping emphasize the centrality of community engagement, and the process of mapping often reveals many unexpected resources and builds new cross-community connections.


 

Bibliography - Mapping Resources:



Documents*:


Maps:

Au coeur de l'Acadie - Acadian settlement on the Annapolis River, 1707

 

 

 

Port-Royal, Acadie vers 1700 – no attribution

Map published by Human Resources Development Canada (no date shown), with cartography and design by Craig Brigley, COGS and the support of Annapolis Ventures and Parks Canada

Map of the River of Annapolis Royal – from a 1733 survey, by George Mitchell, with corrections added in 1753: from Supplement to the History of the County of Annapolis: A.W.Savary – published by William Briggs 1913 pp: 34/35 *George Mitchell came to Nova Scotia in September 1732 as deputy to David Dunbar, surveyor of his majesty's woods in America. Dunbar had been commissioned to enforce the White Pine Acts of 1711, 1712, and 1729, which prohibited the cutting of white pine, reserved for mast-making, on government lands. Following the instructions of Dunbar and the provincial lieutenant governor, Lawrence Armstrong, Mitchell surveyed lands from Passamaquoddy to Cape Sable for stands of pine and mapped the Annapolis River basin. He also helped to oversee the construction of a road from Annapolis Royal to Minas, where he and several others had been granted a patent to recently discovered mines.

A Bird's Eye View of Annapolis Royal & Granville, Nova Scotia - 1876* – by T.M. Fowler, Morrisville, PA: from: The Mapmaker's Legacy - 19th Century Nova Scotia through maps – Joan Dawson. Nimbus Publishing Ltd. – 2007 p. 135

"Thaddeus M. Fowler was an American who specialized in making this type of map. The map, like many of this period, includes a directory locating the major businesses and hotels (which no doubt paid handsomely for their inclusion) as well as public buildings, including churches of several denominations. In addition to representation of these buildings, and of the private houses in the two towns, the map gives other details of contemporary activities.

The most prominent feature of Annapolis Royal was the historic Fort Anne, whose earthworks and buildings are instantly recognizable. Beside it stood (and still stands) the courthouse. St. George Street was the commercial centre of the town. Along the waterfront was a row of businesses, warehouses and wharves, some with ships moored and cargo stacked alongside. Some of these were no doubt fishing boats, others trading ships Among the many sailing vessels in the harbor there is one steamship, named the Empress, a harbinger of the coming change from sail to steam that would alter the Nova Scotian economy forever. Also in evidence is the Windsor and Annapolis Railway, which came to the town in 1869 and increased its shipping activity by providing a link to Halifax and other places in eastern Canada. On the inland side of St. George Street were hotels and the post office. The railway station was farther from the water on Church Street.

One of the biggest industries was the mill and shipyard owned by Lawrence De Lap, shown here with two vessels under construction. Another business connected with the shipping industry was C. K. Weddleton sail loft, strategically placed by the harbor at the angle of St. George Street. Other industries included the Annapolis Iron Foundry and the Annapolis Door and Sash Manufacturing Company.

Granville was a smaller and more rural community, with several churches, a temperance hall, and a post office in the centre of town. It too had wharves along the waterfront, one of which must have supported the ferry to Annapolis, which is not identified but which later gave the name Granville Ferry to the community.

Both settlements are portrayed communities. The streets are full of pedestrians and wagons and there is activity on the wharves. A nice touch is the man leading his ox team on the road away from Granville. Fowler was a skilled draftsman and presented a favourable picture of the area and its activities."

Joan Dawson, pp: 134 – 137 ibid


A Bird's Eye View of Annapolis Royal & Granville, Nova Scotia - 2005 – by Jim Todd, TODD Graphic, 2014. Historical Association of Annapolis Royal

 

 



Other:



Web Resources: